Thursday, August 7, 2008

Engaged! Planning! Procrastinating!

Well! I got engaged a little over a month ago (... ok, I guess almost 2 months now), on June 22. It happened at the beach, when FH and I were walking along (on our 3 year anniversary, no less), and suddenly, he "found" a diamond ring, and decided to propose. I lost the power of speech, he ended up with a sandy knee, my mom videotaped the whole thing from afar, and that was that. I ended up with a beautiful ring, one that's just perfect for me.

So now I have to plan a wedding. Imagine that.

First thing's first, however: I have to graduated. I've been in grad school for 6 years, and I'm starting to write my thesis. I have a job lined up, but I'll have to sell my condo and (hopefully!) buy a new one near the new job. Then I can get married.

As you can imagine, I haven't done too much planning. I've always known I'll get married at my family's homestead in Granby, CT, in the garden, like my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and her sisters, and great-great grandmother (and probably her sisters, too). I hate the heat, so the wedding will be either fall or spring- these days we're leaning towards fall, of 2009. It'll be in the evening, none of that get-up-at-6am-to-get-your-hair-done nonsense, I want plenty of time to let the knowledge that I'll soon become Mrs H sink in.

So, while I haven't done much planning, I have actually bought a wedding dress. Yeah, I was surprised, too. I went to sample sale, and I couldn't pass this up.

(Clint, if you're reading this, and I'm purposely not telling you that I have this blog, do NOT click on the link, bozo)

http://www.evahforsyth.com/Stephanieenhanced.ivnu
It's white and satin, and I'd wanted ivory or champagne and ..... not satin, but I love the beading, it's vines with small flowers, very appropriate for a garden wedding. However, I'm not done wedding dress shopping! I'm a little crazy. I may not get another dress, or I may. Time will tell.

Now I'm thinking bridesmaid's dresses. Here are yesterday and today's possibilities.
#806
#938
#934

a couple from David's Bridal (how is the quality of DB? Anyone know?)
one
another
and another that I really like in the blue, but it's so short....
and finally, this one might be discontinued

My goal is to find a dress for a variety of sizes, either in blue or pink, but a rich shade suitable for a fall evening, tea length, not strapless, and affordable (under $200). The BM dresses are trickier than my dress. I will ask all my BMs for their input before choosing the dress, however, although that won't be until we set a date.

That's enough for now. I'll talk about favors and my DIY ideas in the next post.

yeah by the way, I have no idea how everything is underlined, and therefore no idea how to stop that. rar.

4 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Yay new blog! I love wedding blogs and I love you, so this will work out well for my procrastination as well as yours... Anyway, I have no specific comments on those dresses since clearly you have excellent taste and they all look nice. If you're having a hard time choosing, maybe go with whatever will be most flattering on a variety of people?

Regarding David's Bridal... I've heard they can be jerks. But I've also heard from people who haven't had any trouble at all. Have you looked at The White Dress by the Shore in Madison? They're so nice that they actually hand delivered a bridesmaid dress to me. http://www.thewhitedressbytheshore.com

Anonymous said...

Yay for a wedding blog!!

dyna said...

Hi Catherine,

Loved all the dresses you picked for the bridesmaids. My favorite is the gold taffeta.
I went dress shopping with a friend to DB's. The service was not bad but she on close examination, the dresses weren't of very good quality... just a heads up.

Have fun planning :)

Catherine said...

Lyndsey: I have an appointment at the White Dress by the Shore on Sunday! I'll share details next week.

Dhana: Thanks for the info. That's the kind of thing I was worried about.

:)