Monday, August 11, 2008

Wedding dresses

Mom and I went to the White Dress by the Shore in Clinton, CT yesterday, and I see why everyone raves about it so much! It was a lovely shop, they had a decent selection of dresses, and everyone that worked there was so helpful. My appointment was with Beth, the owner, and she was great. She was very helpful and good about finding dresses she thought I might like (as a whole or for certain embellishments). It was a very good experience.

I tried on two dresses i liked, one by Judd Waddell (the top dress, the one where the girl is standing by the wedding cake and licking her finger)- although I think this picture is not it exactly, the bodice of the one I tried had lace on the bodice, and this looks like shirring. I loved the skirt.

I tried on this dress from the Vineyard Collection by Priscilla of Boston (ooh la la), which was perfect except for two things.... I really like beading or some embellishment, and this was completely simple. Also, as you can kind of see, it's a tad low in front. It's low in back too, but I like my back, so I'll show it off.

Last weekend we went to Camille's, which was nice, but nowhere near as nice as THDbtS. I bought (yes, bought... it was pretty and it was a sample sale) this dress (which, as you can probably tell, needs some work before it fits as well as the Vineyard dress)
But I love the beading, especially on the train...

I'm going to keep looking. I love this dress with the silver vine-y beading, but less so after wearing the other dress. The other dress is perfect except for the lack of beading and deep V neckline. I could bead it myself (run on down to Gemstar and buy some swarovskis and pearls) and I could put in a little panel to make it less low, but I worry a panel would screw with the nice lines of the top.

Mom and I went to a stamp/scrapbook store in Westbrook on our way home, and they had some nifty papers for making your own invitations and STDs. I'm definitely making the STDs, and we're thinking maybe Clint will do the invites on the printing press at school. I think that would be cool, especially because he's specifically asked to do it. We're still thinking on colors, I've always been wavering between pink and blue, but my mom thinks I should have pink. I think either would be pretty, but there are no pinks out right now that I really like, and would work for BM dresses. Finally, mom came across Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette book at the WDbtS. I'm pretty sure she's running out today to buy it, but I supposed it'll be helpful.

Speaking of books, we're also considering going on that new Flat Belly Diet diet, the authors were on Rachael Ray and mom and I are both intrigued. Olives are a part of the diet, and any diet that tells you to eat olives is fine with me! Also nuts, avocado, olive oil and dark chocolate. It's based on the idea that this one type of fat is very healthy and helps you lose weight primarily from your belly. If it just tells me to include those foods more and eat normally and exercise, I'm good with that. I don't want any crazy un-maintainable diets like Atkins, thank you very much.

4 comments:

dyna said...

I love the vineyard dress on you !!!!
You look gorgeous in it . The other dress is quite pretty too I can see why you got it..

Lyndsey said...

I love you in a V-neck and you should definitely show off your back! The Vineyard dress is super flattering on you and the fabric photographs beautifully.

Why did I think The White Dress was in Madison? Anyway, I love them too! My sister-in-law got her bridesmaids dresses there and the customer service was amazing.

Lyndsey said...

Oh! For some reason the pictures of the one you bought didn't show up before. I like the beading on that one too. It's the sort of beading that makes everyone say, "Ooooh" again when they see the back.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.